Maryland Youth Advisory Council
The Maryland Youth Advisory Council was established through the state legislature (Chapter 559, Acts of 2008), in order to ensure that Maryland youth are given the opportunity to provide feedback and recommendations regarding public policies and programs that affect their future and to take a leadership role in creating meaningful change. The Maryland Advisory Youth Council will be appointed by the Governor, the President of the Senate, the Speaker of the House of Delegates, the Maryland Association of Student Councils, University System of Maryland Student Council and the Maryland Higher Education Commission Student Advisory Council. All youth members must be 14-22 years of age, serve a one year term (September 1 until August 31) and cannot serve more than two consecutive terms.
How to Apply
If you would like to be a voice for youth in Maryland, applications for the 2014-2015 term are now available. Council members must be 14-22 years of age on September 1, 2014.
Application submissions must include:
1. Completed application form;
2. One letter of recommendation; and
The deadline for applications is July 1, 2014.
SEND COMPLETED APPLICATIONS TO:
Christina Drushel, Prevention Specialist
Governor's Office for Children
301 West Preston St., Suite 1502
Baltimore, MD 21201
MYAC Legislation Links
The Council’s purpose and responsibility is to:
- Hold at least 4 meetings a year
- Hold at least one public meeting on issues of importance to youth (topics can include: education, a safe learning environment, employment opportunities, increasing youth participation in government, health care access and quality of care, substance abuse and underage drinking, emotional and physical well-being, the environment, poverty, homelessness, youth access to services, suicide prevention, and educational accessibility issues for students with disabilities
- Recommend one legislative proposal
- Provide testimony before legislative bodies on youth issues
- Conduct a public awareness campaign to raise awareness about the Council among Maryland youth
- Provide an annual report to the Governor and the General Assembly
Christina E. Drushel, Co-Chair (chosen by Governor)
Roger Manno, Co-Chair (chosen by Senate President)
John A. Olszewski, Jr., Co-Chair (chosen by House Speaker)
If you have any questions, please contact Christina Drushel at Christina.Drushel@Maryland.gov or 410-767-2547.
The Council reports on its activities annually to the Governor and General Assembly.
2014 Meeting Dates and Locations
- Meeting Agenda 12.9.2012
- Meeting Recap 12.9.2012
- MYAC Meeting Recap 10.27.2012
- MYAC Agenda 10.27.2012
- MYAC Meeting Recap 9.15.2012
- MYAC Agenda 9.15.2012
- Community Conversations Discussion Notes 9.15.2012
- MYAC 2012-2013 Overview
- MTAC Appointee Packet
- Photo Release and Consent
- How a Bill Becomes a Law
- Youth as Resources Info Sheet
- Grant Seeking Workshop - YAR